Are you curious to find out if the Common App essay prompts have stayed the same or have changed for the application cycle 2021-22?
You are in the right place. Common App just released its seven essay prompts for the new application cycle, and while six of them remain the same, one new essay prompt has been announced that asks you to reflect on an action of gratitude .
Here is the the exact wording of the new prompt:
Reflect on something that someone has done for you that has made you happy or thankful in a surprising way. How has this gratitude affected or motivated you?
Get a head start on your college application process
Juniors, listen up! While the Common App opens up for the new admissions cycle on August 1st every year, students can actually get started with the Common App already now. You can create an account and acquaint yourself with some of its features. Any information you enter now can later be transferred into your application once the new admissions cycle has started.
Aside from that, look over the newly released essay prompts posted below; choose a couple of favorites, and start thinking about the topic and gather ideas over the next few months. Perhaps you even feel inspired writing the first draft. Come summer many colleges will require you to write additional essays aside from the main Common App essay. So it’ll feel really good to have started the process already early on.
- Some students have a background, identity, interest, or talent that is so meaningful they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.
- The lessons we take from obstacles we encounter can be fundamental to later success. Recount a time when you faced a challenge, setback, or failure. How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience?
- Reflect on a time when you questioned or challenged a belief or idea. What prompted your thinking? What was the outcome?
- Reflect on something that someone has done for you that has made you happy or thankful in a surprising way. How has this gratitude affected or motivated you?
- Discuss an accomplishment, event, or realization that sparked a period of personal growth and a new understanding of yourself or others.
- Describe a topic, idea, or concept you find so engaging that it makes you lose all track of time. Why does it captivate you? What or who do you turn to when you want to learn more?
- Share an essay on any topic of your choice. It can be one you’ve already written, one that responds to a different prompt, or one of your own design.
If you feel you could benefit from a helping hand to guide you along your essay writing process, connect with us.
Find out more about what we have to offer with our free 20-minute discovery call.
Make sure to sign up for our mailing list and receive updates, timely articles, and special offers on our college application programs.